Aloha BYUH students! Welcome to the Modified Quarantine (MQ) page. We hope to be able to answer your questions and give you directions regarding MQ. Welcome back to campus!
Why We’re Doing Modified Quarantine
- As of November 8, 2021, international travelers (those arriving from somewhere outside the U.S.A.) are required to follow the requirements outlined for all foreign travel to the U.S.A. as outlined in the CDC regulations. Compliance with these requirements will be checked by the airline before they allow travel to Hawaii or anywhere else in the U.S.A.
- Domestic travelers (those arriving from somewhere else in the USA*) entering the state of Hawaii are subject to a mandatory 10-day quarantine unless they can meet the state’s Safe Travels Program requirements for an exception.
- Domestic travelers* who can upload confirmation of having completed an accepted vaccination for COVID-19 or proof of a negative test result from a state-approved COVID-19 test, administered within 72 hours from the final leg of departure, are not required to quarantine.
- BYU–Hawaii students who are unable to qualify for these State of Hawaii quarantine exceptions may be eligible for BYUH’s Modified Quarantine program.
*(This includes international travelers who have connecting flights through U.S. locations such as Los Angeles)
What The Modified Quarantine (MQ) Program Is
- The Modified Quarantine (MQ) program is a limited exemption that is authorized by the state and administered by the university.
- MQ is available beginning December 12, 2021, through January 16, 2022. Students must apply for MQ participation and prepare to arrive on campus by following the steps below.
- Students needing the MQ program should apply immediately.
- Students accepted into the program will be issued an electronic letter that confirms their status as MQ participants. This document should be presented to screening and transportation officials when the student arrives in Hawaii.
- Students must have a confirmed housing contract and will quarantine at the regular hale or apartment where they will live while at BYUH. On-campus students will be in their assigned hale unit. Off-campus students will be at the apartment they selected.
Pre-Travel Requirements for those accepted into MQ
- The student must be enrolled to attend the Winter 2022 Semester. Please make sure you are enrolled in classes at BYUH!
- Students must apply for MQ participation within 48 business hours of their trip. Fill out your applications ASAP!
- Prior to arrival, the student must fill out any travel or health screening form required by the State of Hawaii including, but not limited to the mandatory Safe Travels forms. More information is available on the State of Hawaii website. Visit the Safe Travels FAQs for more information.
- Other details about travel to the campus will be provided to those that are accepted for modified quarantine.
Modified Quarantine includes a COVID-19 test and with a negative result allows for limited activities on the BYUH campus over the 10 day quarantine period.
Specific details about the processes and rules involved in modified quarantine at BYUH will be provided to those who are participating in the program.
Please contact the office of the director of campus life at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have further questions about the Modified Quarantine program.